Generic Name and Formulations:
Thioguanine 40mg; tabs; scored.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Thioguanine:
Remission induction and remission consolidation treatment of acute nonlymphocytic leukemias. Treatment of the chronic phase of chronic myelogenous leukemia (see full labeling).
Adults and Children:
See full labeling. Initially, 2mg/kg per day. If, after 4 weeks, with no improvement, no leukocyte or platelet depression, may increase to 3mg/kg per day. Total daily dose may be given at one time.
Allergy to mercaptopurine.
Not recommended for maintenance therapy or long-term continuous treatments; increased risk of liver toxicity (discontinue if occurs). Pre-existing liver disease. Monitor liver function tests weekly at start of therapy, then monthly thereafter. Thiopurine S-methyltransferase (TPMT) or nucleotide diphosphatase (NUDT15) deficiency (may need to reduce dose to avoid severe bone marrow suppression); consider testing for TPMT and NUDT15 deficiency. Obtain hemoglobin, hematocrit, WBCs with differential, platelets frequently during therapy. Pregnancy (Cat.D); avoid use. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid live vaccines (if immunocompromised). Caution with drugs that inhibit TPMT (eg, olsalazine, mesalazine, or sulphasalazine).
Myelosuppression, hyperuricemia, GI upset, anorexia, stomatitis, hepatotoxicity, elevated liver enzymes, jaundice (discontinue if occurs).
Formerly known under the brand name Tabloid.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Excess Abdominal Obesity Linked to Severe Disability in Multiple Sclerosis
- Change in Dietary Patterns Over 5 Years in Early Multiple Sclerosis
- High-Dose Biotin May Be an Effective Treatment for Progressive MS
- Biobank Data Suggest Vitamin D Reduces Risk for Multiple Sclerosis
- Poor Functional Outcomes Tied to Depressive Symptoms in Multiple Sclerosis
- Managing Status Epilepticus in Palliative Care: Accounting for Patient and Family Experience
- Oxygen Desaturation Index Predicts AFib Risk in Ischemic Stroke
- Opioid Use Down With 'Enhanced Recovery After Surgery' Program
- Popular Heroin Inhalation Method Tied to Leukoencephalopathy
- Erenumab Superior to Placebo for Reducing Migraine Disability, Improving HRQoL