"Since the current generation of psychiatrists has been raised on second-generation antipsychotics and has relatively little experience with first-generation antipsychotics, keeping tardive dyskinesia in mind is not, on the whole, part of their experience or training," said Christoph U. Correll, MD.
Ingrezza was well-tolerated in patients with tardive dyskinesia.
Ingrezza is a vesicular monoamine transporter 2 inhibitor, now available in an 80mg capsule.
Incidence of neuroleptic malignant syndrome, akathisia, and parkinsonism was higher in the ID group.
Austedo was previously approved for the treatment of chorea in Huntington's disease.
The main challenge is to determine when treating tardive dyskinesia with any pharmacological agent would provide a net benefit.
Joohi Jimenez-Shahed, MD, discusses her research on the use of deutetrabenazine for the treatment of tardive dyskinesia in patients taking concomitant antipsychotics or neuroleptics. Scroll below the video for the full transcript.
Valbenazine is the first drug approved for the treatment of tardive dyskinesia, an adverse effect associated with the use of some antipsychotic medications.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Addressing Rare Headache Disorders: Acute Confusional Migraine
- Organic Solvents Plus Genetics May Increase Risk of Multiple Sclerosis
- No Significant Clinical Differences Between Cluster Headaches With and Without Aura
- Co-Prescription of Opioids and Antidepressants Prevalent in Migraine
- Deep Brain Stimulation May Slow Rest Tremor Progression in Parkinson Disease
- Herpesvirus Abundant in Alzheimer Disease Brain, New Study Finds
- Patients' Preferences for Physician Attire Linked to Perception of Care
- Weighing the Risks of Deep Brain Stimulation
- Grey Matter Atrophy Sequence in Multiple Sclerosis Phenotypes
- Higher Vitamin D Levels Associated With Fewer Lesions in Multiple Sclerosis
- Screening Tool Differentiates Progressive Supranuclear Palsy and Parkinson Disease
- Risk Factors for Impulse Control Behaviors in Parkinson Disease
- Cardiac Pathology in SUDEP Compared With Sudden Arrhythmic or Traumatic Deaths
- 11.2% of U.S. Adults Aged ≥45 Report Subjective Mental Decline
- AMA Aims to Boost Affordability of ACA Marketplace Plans