Generic Name and Formulations:
Teniposide 10mg/mL; soln for IV infusion after dilution; contains benzyl alcohol, polyoxy 35 castor oil, dehydrated alcohol.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Teniposide:
Refractory childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia.
Adults and Children:
See full labeling. Give as slow IV infusion (at least 30–60mins). Patients failing induction therapy with a cytarabine-containing regimen: 165mg/m2 + cytarabine twice weekly for 8 to 9 doses. Refractory to vincristine/prednisone-containing regimen: 250mg/m2 + vincristine weekly for 4 to 8 weeks + oral prednisone for 28 days.
Should be administered under the supervision of an experienced physician. Severe myelosuppression with resulting infection or bleeding may occur. Hypersensitivity reactions.
Dose-limiting bone marrow suppression. Monitor for hypersensitivity reactions following infusion; have epinephrine available. Risk of hypotension with rapid IV administration. Hepatic dysfunction. Monitor and obtain CBCs with differential, hemoglobin, platelets, renal and hepatic functions before, during, and after therapy. Down syndrome (use reduced dose). Monitor children with hypoalbuminemia. Avoid extravasation. Pregnancy (Cat.D); avoid use. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiated by tolbutamide, sodium salicylate, and sulfamethizole. Concomitant vincristine sulfate may cause neuropathy. Concomitant antiemetics in patients given high doses of teniposide may increase risk of CNS depression, hypotension.
Myelosuppression (leukopenia, neutropenia, thrombocytopenia, anemia), mucositis, GI upset, infection, alopecia, bleeding, rash, fever, hypotension, CNS depression, hypersensitivity reactions (may be fatal).
Formerly known under the brand name Vumon.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Vitamin D3 Associated With Reductions in Migraine Days Among Migraineurs
- Hemicrania Continua: Diagnosis and Treatment
- Psychiatric Adverse Effects from Levetiracetam Linked to Certain Factors
- Predicting Outcomes in Parkinson Disease: Utility of EEG
- Prolonged Aura in Migraine Linked to More Sensory Symptoms
- Overlapping Phenomenology in Focal Motor Epilepsy and Movement Disorders
- Walgreens Now Offers Next-Day Prescription Medication Delivery With FedEx
- MFIQ Comprehensively Evaluates Migraine Intervention Outcomes
- Lorcaserin May Reduce Motor Seizures in Pediatric Treatment-Resistant Epilepsy
- Guidance for Antibiotic Use in Myasthenia Gravis