Generic Name and Formulations:
Hepatitis A inactivated 720 ELISA Units (EL.U.), hepatitis B surface antigen (recombinant) 20mcg; per mL; susp for IM inj; aluminum adsorbed; contains trace amounts of thimerosal, formalin, neomycin, yeast protein.
Indications for TWINRIX:
Hepatitis A and hepatitis B immunization.
≥18yrs: 1 inj IM in deltoid area at 0-, 1-, and 6 months. Alternate 4-dose schedule: 1 inj IM in deltoid area at 0-, 7-, and 21 to 30-days followed by booster dose at month 12.
<18yrs: not recommended.
May defer in acute febrile illness or active infection. Bleeding disorders. Thrombocytopenia. Immunodeficiency: may get suboptimal response. Have epinephrine (1:1000) inj available. If given with immune globulin, use separate syringe and different site. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Immunosuppressives may reduce efficacy.
Inj site reactions, headache, fatigue, GI upset, fever.
Register pregnant patients exposed to Twinrix by calling (888) 452-9622. Report adverse events to VAERS by calling (800) 822-7967.
Single-dose vials—1, 10; Single-dose prefilled syringes—5
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Survival in Parkinson Disease Dependent on Parkinsonian Type, Characteristics
- Case Study Report: Herbal Supplement Kratom Associated With Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Mobile Health Apps for Headache: An Ongoing Search for Clinical Relevancy
- Young Fresh Frozen Plasma Infusion Safe, Feasible in Alzheimer Disease
- CBD Superior to Placebo, Similar to AEDs for Managing Epilepsy Syndromes
- Alemtuzumab Linked to Clinical and MRI Disease Remission in Multiple Sclerosis
- Very Early Mobilization After Stroke Does Not Improve Survival Over Usual Care
- Cognitive Decline Worsens With Memantine, ChEIs in Patients With Alzheimer's
- Cervical Dysfunction Needs Clarification to Identify Link With Headache
- Levodopa Inhalation Powder Approved for Parkinson Disease
- Can Early Initiation of Direct Oral Anticoagulants Prevent Recurrent AFib-Related Stroke?
- Hydrocephalus May Be a Complication of Congenial Zika Syndrome
- Higher CSF NfL Protein Levels Linked to Risk for Mild Cognitive Impairment
- Addressing Cognitive Impairment in Pediatric MS: Expert Q&A
- How the Government Shutdown Affects FDA Activities