Generic Name and Formulations:
Febuxostat 40mg, 80mg; tabs.
Takeda Pharmaceutical Company
Indications for ULORIC:
Chronic management of hyperuricemia in patients with gout.
≥18yrs: initially 40mg once daily. Obtain target serum uric acid levels <6mg/dL after 2 weeks of initiating therapy; if not <6mg/dL, may increase to 80mg once daily. Gout flare prophylaxis, with an NSAID or colchicine, upon initiation of therapy and for up to 6 months, is recommended. Severe renal impairment: max 40mg once daily.
<18yrs: not established.
Concomitant azathioprine, mercaptopurine.
Not for treating asymptomatic hyperuricemia. Cardiovascular events: monitor for signs and symptoms of MI and stroke. Measure LFTs at baseline and if liver injury is suspected; interrupt therapy if ALT>3xULN and investigate cause. Do not restart if ALT>3xULN with serum total bilirubin >2xULN without alternative etiologies; for lesser elevations, use with caution. Severe hepatic impairment. Severe renal impairment (see Adult) or ESRD on dialysis. Secondary hyperuricemia (eg, Lesch-Nyhan syndrome, malignant disease, or in organ transplant recipients): not recommended. Discontinue if serious skin reactions are suspected (eg, DRESS, TEN). Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Xanthine oxidase inhibitor.
See Contraindications. Potentiates xanthine oxidase substrate drugs (eg, theophylline).
Abnormal LFTs, nausea, arthralgia, rash; gout flares, hepatic failure.
Tabs 40mg—30, 90, 500; 80mg—30, 100, 1000
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Some Statins May Be Associated With Cognition, Memory Deficits
- Neuropathic Pain Treatments
- Cannabis for Multiple Sclerosis: Prescriber's Perspective
- New Monoclonal Antibody BAN2401 Reduces Amyloid Plaques, Improves Cognition in Alzheimer's
- Nonpharmacologic Interventions for Alzheimer's Have Greater Impact on Outcomes Than Currently Available Medications
- OnabotulinumtoxinA for Post-Stroke Spasticity: Treatment Strategies and Limitations
- Tau Associated With Loss of Anterior Temporal White Matter Integrity
- Location Probability Learning Unimpaired in Parkinson Disease
- Prenatal Tdap Vaccination Not Linked to Autism Risk
- AMA Adopts Policy to Advance Gender Equity in Medicine