Generic Name and Formulations:
Meropenem, vaborbactam 2g/vial (containing meropenem 1g + vaborbactam 1g); pwd for IV infusion after reconstitution and dilution; sodium content 10.9mEq/vial; preservative-free.
Indications for VABOMERE:
Susceptible complicated urinary tract infections (cUTI) including pyelonephritis.
Give by IV infusion over 3hrs. ≥18yrs (eGFR ≥50mL/min/1.73m2): 4g every 8hrs. Renal impairment (eGFR 30–49mL/min/1.73m2): 2g every 8hrs; (eGFR 15–29mL/min/1.73m2): 2g every 12hrs; (eGFR <15mL/min/1.73m2): 1g every 12hrs. Give after hemodialysis session. All: treat for up to 14 days.
<18yrs: not established.
Previous hypersensitivity to penicillins, cephalosporins, other beta-lactams, or other allergens. Discontinue immediately if allergic reaction occurs. CNS disorders (eg, brain lesions, history of seizures). Bacterial meningitis. Renal impairment (thrombocytopenia possible). Reevaluate dose if focal tremors, myoclonus, or seizures occur. Discontinue if C. difficile-associated diarrhea suspected or confirmed. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Carbapenem + beta-lactamase inhibitor.
Concomitant valproic acid or divalproex sodium: not recommended; if use necessary, consider supplemental anticonvulsant. Potentiated by probenecid: not recommended.
Headache, phlebitis/infusion site reactions, diarrhea; serious hypersensitivity reactions, C. difficile-associated diarrhea, possible neuromotor impairment (eg, seizures, delirium, paresthesias), superinfection.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Gender and Multiple Sclerosis: How It Influences Prognosis and Future Treatment
- Natalizumab Improves Cognitive Function in Multiple Sclerosis
- Significant Variations in Epilepsy Surgical Strategy, Deficit Reporting Exist
- Thrombolysis With Tenecteplase Is as Safe as Alteplase in Stroke Mimics
- Loss of Function Variants in LRRK1 and LRRK2 Not Linked to Parkinson Disease
- 5 Key Findings Presented at 2018 Parkinson Disease Conference
- Parkinson Disease and the Gut: Treatment Potential Abounds
- Managing Comorbid Migraine and Mood Disorders: A Synergistic Approach
- Stroke-Code Patients With Low NIHSS Score, No Acute Imaging Findings Often Misdiagnosed
- Ethical Challenges of Nusinersen: Considerations When Counseling on Treatment
- ZTlido Patch for Post-Shingles Pain Launching Soon
- Managing Complications of Intrathecal Baclofen Therapy
- Deep Brain Stimulation Reduces Tremor Symptoms in Parkinson Disease
- FDA Issues Statement Addressing Safety Concerns Associated With Nuplazid
- Prevalence of Autoimmune Encephalitis in Herpes Simplex Encephalitis Explored