VARIBAR NECTAR Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Barium sulfate 40% w/v; oral susp; apple flavor; contains polysorbate 80.
Indications for VARIBAR NECTAR:
For use in modified barium swallow exams to evaluate the oral and pharyngeal function and morphology.
For oral use only. 5mL. May give multiple doses as needed during exam; max total dose: 30mL.
For oral use only. <6mos: 0.5–1mL; ≥6mos: 1–3mL. May give multiple doses as needed during exam; max total dose: 30mL.
Known or suspected GI tract perforation. Known GI obstruction. High risk of GI perforation (eg, recent prior perforation, acute GI hemorrhage or ischemia, toxic megacolon, severe ileus, post GI surgery or biopsy, acute GI injury/burn, recent pelvic radiotherapy). High risk of aspiration (eg, tracheoesophageal fistula or obtundation).
History of bronchial asthma, atopy, or food allergies. Hypersensitivity reactions: have emergency equipment readily available. Increased risk of intra-abdominal barium leakage with carcinomas, GI fistula, inflammatory bowel disease, gastric or duodenal ulcer, appendicitis, diverticulitis, severe GI stenosis. Increased risk of GI obstruction or baroliths with severe GI stenosis, impaired GI motility, electrolyte imbalance, dehydration, low residue diet, concomitant drugs that delay GI motility, constipation, pediatric cystic fibrosis or Hirschsprung disease, elderly. Maintain adequate hydration. Monitor for aspiration; discontinue if suspected. Monitor for potential intravasation.
Radiographic contrast medium.
Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal cramping; aspiration pneumonitis, barium sulfate impaction, GI perforation, vasovagal and syncopal episodes, hypersensitivity reactions.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Excess Abdominal Obesity Linked to Severe Disability in Multiple Sclerosis
- Change in Dietary Patterns Over 5 Years in Early Multiple Sclerosis
- High-Dose Biotin May Be an Effective Treatment for Progressive MS
- Biobank Data Suggest Vitamin D Reduces Risk for Multiple Sclerosis
- Poor Functional Outcomes Tied to Depressive Symptoms in Multiple Sclerosis
- Review of Factors Impacting Sport-Related Concussion Headaches
- Congress Passes Bill to Fight Opioid Crisis
- Digital Cognitive Therapy Eases Daytime Effects of Insomnia
- Models Predict Intracerebral Hemorrhage Growth
- Managing Status Epilepticus in Palliative Care: Accounting for Patient and Family Experience