Generic Name and Formulations:
Icosapent ethyl 0.5g, 1g; soft gelatin caps.
Amarin Pharma Inc.
Indications for VASCEPA:
Adjunct to diet to reduce triglyceride (TG) levels in adult patients with severe (≥500mg/dL) hypertriglyceridemia. Limitations of use: The effect of Vascepa on the risk for pancreatitis in patients with severe hypertriglyceridemia has not been determined. The effect of Vascepa on cardiovascular mortality and morbidity in patients with severe hypertriglyceridemia has not been determined.
Swallow whole. Do not crush, dissolve, or chew. 4 caps (0.5g) or 2 caps (1g) twice daily with food; maximum 4g per day.
Obtain baseline lipids before initiating therapy. Identify other causes of high triglycerides and manage appropriately (eg, diabetes, hypothyroidism, or alcohol intake). Hepatic impairment; monitor ALT and AST levels periodically during therapy. Fish and/or shellfish allergy. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Monitor periodically with concomitant drugs that affect coagulation (eg, antiplatelet agents).
Hepatic. <99% protein bound.
Caps 0.5g—240; 1g—120
Neurology Advisor Articles
- 5 Key Findings Presented at 2018 Parkinson Disease Conference
- Parkinson Disease and the Gut: Treatment Potential Abounds
- Managing Comorbid Migraine and Mood Disorders: A Synergistic Approach
- Stroke-Code Patients With Low NIHSS Score, No Acute Imaging Findings Often Misdiagnosed
- Ethical Challenges of Nusinersen: Considerations When Counseling on Treatment
- Gender and Multiple Sclerosis: How It Influences Prognosis and Future Treatment
- Drug Prices Increase More Than Expected After Shortages
- Potentially Inappropriate Opioid Prescribing Tied to Overdose
- Loss of Function Variants in LRKK1 and LRKK2 Not Linked to Parkinson Disease
- Scribes Improve Physician Workflow, Patient Interaction