In those older than age 65 years, high BP heightens risk for various forms of heart disease as well as for chronic kidney disease and diabetes mellitus.
Systemic vascular health measured as a composite of recent cardiovascular and metabolic chronic conditions was associated with medial temporal lobe thinning, widespread cerebral hypoperfusion, and poor microstructural integrity.
Culturally tailored, skills-based strategies may be an important alternative to knowledge-focused approaches in achieving sustained vascular risk reduction and addressing racial/ethnic stroke disparities.
The investigators of this study did not compare pre- or post-hemorrhage data, precluding their ability to determine the applicability of the findings for improving clinical practice.
In older patients, conventional hemodialysis induces a reduction in cerebral blood flow.
Somatic activating KRAS mutations are often found in patients with arteriovenous malformations of the brain.
Greater yearly declines in systolic and diastolic blood pressure were noted in individuals with subcortical microinfarcts.
Patients with the lowest bone mineral density had the largest aneurysm size.
The trial, sponsored by the University of Birmingham, is currently recruiting participants.
The treatment of brain aneurysms may be improved with "awake" brain surgery.
Heterozygous mutations may play a role in familial cerebral small vessel disease.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Surgical, Nonsurgical Treatments for Chronic Migraine: Evidence and Relevancy
- Neurofilament Light Biomarkers Identify Alzheimer Disease Risk in Down Syndrome
- Myoclonic-Atonic Seizures and Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome Present With Overlapping Features, Difficulty in Diagnosis
- Tap Water in Neti Pot Linked to Brain Infection, Death From Balamuthia mandrillaris
- Rituximab Effects in Neuromyelitis Optica Spectrum Disorders
- Study Identifies Early-Onset Motor Behaviors in DES-Triggered Seizures
- Autoimmune Diseases Increase Hippocampal Sclerosis Risk in Nonagenarians
- Smaller Heads Related to Opioid-Related Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Hearing Loss in Older Adults Linked to Depression, Dementia Among Other Comorbidities
- Bumetanide May Benefit Children With Autism Spectrum Disorder