Generic Name and Formulations:
Sucroferric oxyhydroxide 500mg; chew tabs.
Fresenius Medical Care North America
Indications for VELPHORO:
For control of serum phosphorus levels in patients with chronic kidney disease on dialysis.
Chew, do not swallow whole. Take with meals. Initially 500mg 3 times daily; monitor serum phosphorus levels and titrate dose in decrements or increments of 500mg/day as needed until acceptable serum phosphorus level reached. May titrate as often as weekly.
GI, hepatic, or iron accumulation disorders; monitor effect and iron homeostasis. Pregnancy (Cat.B).
Separate dosing of doxycycline, acetylsalicylic acid, cephalexin by ≥1hr before Velphoro; levothyroxine by ≥4hrs before. Concomitant drugs with narrow therapeutic index; monitor.
Discolored feces, diarrhea, nausea.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Excess Abdominal Obesity Linked to Severe Disability in Multiple Sclerosis
- Change in Dietary Patterns Over 5 Years in Early Multiple Sclerosis
- High-Dose Biotin May Be an Effective Treatment for Progressive MS
- Biobank Data Suggest Vitamin D Reduces Risk for Multiple Sclerosis
- Poor Functional Outcomes Tied to Depressive Symptoms in Multiple Sclerosis