Generic Name and Formulations:
Elosulfase alfa 1mg/mL; soln for IV infusion; preservative-free.
Indications for VIMIZIM:
Mucopolysaccharidosis type IVA (MPS IVA; Morquio A syndrome).
Adults and Children:
<5yrs: not established. Give by IV infusion over 3.5–4.5 hours based on infusion volume. ≥5yrs: 2mg/kg once weekly. Pre-treat with antihistamines with or without antipyretics 30–60 mins prior to infusion.
Risk of anaphylaxis.
Risk of serious anaphylactic reactions; observe patients during and after administration. Have epinephrine inj available. Discontinue immediately if severe hypersensitivity reactions occur. Acute febrile or respiratory illness; evaluate clinical status prior to therapy and consider delaying infusion. Risk of sleep apnea; consider evaluating airway patency prior to initiation. Have supplemental oxygen or continuous positive airway pressure available. Monitor for signs/symptoms of spinal or cervical cord compression. Pregnancy (Cat. C). Nursing mothers.
Hydrolytic lysosomal glycosaminoglycan (GAG)-specific enzyme.
Pyrexia, vomiting, headache, nausea, abdominal pain, chills, fatigue; sleep apnea, anaphylaxis, possible antibody formation.
To enroll in the Morquio A Registry for monitoring effects of Vimizim contact MARS@bmrn.com or call (800) 983-4587.
Single-use vial (5mL)—1
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Some Statins May Be Associated With Cognition, Memory Deficits
- Neuropathic Pain Treatments
- New Monoclonal Antibody BAN2401 Reduces Amyloid Plaques, Improves Cognition in Alzheimer's
- Nonpharmacologic Interventions for Alzheimer's Have Greater Impact on Outcomes Than Currently Available Medications
- Vagus Nerve Stimulation in Pediatric Epilepsy: Weighing the Risks and Benefits
- OnabotulinumtoxinA for Post-Stroke Spasticity: Treatment Strategies and Limitations
- Tau Associated With Loss of Anterior Temporal White Matter Integrity
- Location Probability Learning Unimpaired in Parkinson Disease
- Prenatal Tdap Vaccination Not Linked to Autism Risk
- AMA Adopts Policy to Advance Gender Equity in Medicine