Generic Name and Formulations:
Lipase/protease/amylase: 10440Units/39150Units/39150Units; 20880Units/78300Units/78300Units; tabs.
Indications for VIOKACE:
Treatment of exocrine pancreatic insufficiency in adults due to chronic pancreatitis or pancreatectomy, in combination with a proton pump inhibitor.
Start at the lowest recommended dose and increase gradually. Individualize based on clinical symptoms, the degree of steatorrhea present, and the fat content of the diet. Swallow whole; do not crush or chew tabs. Take with meals and sufficient fluid. Do not let any drug remain in mouth. Initially 500 lipase units/kg per meal. Max: 2500 lipase units/kg per meal (or ≤10000 lipase units/kg/day), or <4000 lipase units/g fat ingested per day. See full labeling.
Not interchangeable with other pancrelipase products. Fibrosing colonopathy (with high doses); risk of stricture formation (monitor). Pork allergy. Potential viral transmission. Gout. Renal impairment. Hyperuricemia. Contents irritating to oral mucosa. Lactose intolerance. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Pancreatic enzymes (porcine).
Biliary tract stones, anal pruritus; allergic reactions.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Erenumab Superior to Placebo for Reducing Migraine Disability, Improving HRQoL
- Congress Passes Bill to Fight Opioid Crisis
- Managing Status Epilepticus in Palliative Care: Accounting for Patient and Family Experience
- Physical Activity Decreases Vascular Comorbidities in Multiple Sclerosis
- Review of Factors Impacting Sport-Related Concussion Headaches
- Anodal tDCS Offers Possible Benefit for Improving Item Recall in Post-Stroke Aphasia
- Hospitalization Tied to Brain Abnormalities in Older Adults
- Spending Often Persists in High-Cost Medicare-Medicaid Eligible
- Skills-Based Intervention Did Not Cut Systolic BP After Stroke, TIA
- High Frequency of Headaches Following Dialysis Associated With BUN and Blood Pressure