Generic Name and Formulations:
Oral typhoid vaccine live, attenuated strain Ty21a; e-c caps.
Indications for VIVOTIF:
Immunization against typhoid fever.
Adults and Children:
Do not crush or chew. Give 1 hour before a meal with cold or lukewarm (not >body temp) drink. Complete therapy at least 1 week before expected exposure; may repeat every 5yrs. <6yrs: not recommended. ≥6yrs: 1 cap every other day for a total of 4 doses.
Acute febrile or GI illness. Immunocompromised states. Concomitant antibiotics (suboptimal response).
Defer in active infection, fever, persistent diarrhea, or vomiting. Exposure to contaminated food and water should be avoided. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Nausea, abdominal cramps, vomiting, rash, urticaria (all infrequent and transient).
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Case Study Report: Herbal Supplement Kratom Associated With Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Seizure Monitoring Smartwatch Cleared for Use in Children
- Steps to Facilitate Rapid Reperfusion to Improve Poststroke Outcomes
- Ocrelizumab Reduces Upper Extremity Disability Progression Risk in PPMS
- Cerebellar Stimulation May Help Improve Gait and Balance Recovery in Stroke
- Very Early Mobilization After Stroke Does Not Improve Survival Over Usual Care
- Alemtuzumab Linked to Clinical and MRI Disease Remission in Multiple Sclerosis
- Cognitive Decline Worsens With Memantine, ChEIs in Patients With Alzheimer's
- Cervical Dysfunction Needs Clarification to Identify Link With Headache
- Levodopa Inhalation Powder Approved for Parkinson Disease