WELLBUTRIN SR Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Bupropion HCl 100mg, 150mg, 200mg; sust-rel tabs.
Indications for WELLBUTRIN SR:
Major depressive disorder (MDD).
Swallow whole. Avoid bedtime dosing. ≥18yrs: initially 150mg once daily in the AM for at least 3 days; if tolerated, increase to 150mg twice daily at least 8hrs apart. May increase after several weeks to max 200mg twice daily at least 8hrs apart. Moderate-to-severe hepatic impairment: max 100mg/day or 150mg every other day. Renal or mild hepatic impairment: consider reduced dose and/or dose frequency. Switching to Wellbutrin XL: give same total daily dose.
<18yrs: not established.
Seizure disorders. Bulimia. Anorexia nervosa. During or within 14 days of discontinuing MAOIs. Concomitant linezolid or IV methylene blue. Abrupt withdrawal of alcohol, benzodiazepines, barbiturates, or antiepileptics. Other forms of bupropion (eg, Zyban).
Suicidal thoughts and behaviors.
Not for treating bipolar depression or for smoking cessation. Increased risk of suicidal thinking and behavior in children, adolescents, and young adults; monitor all patients for clinical worsening or unusual behavioral changes. Monitor for neuropsychiatric adverse events (eg, behavioral changes, agitation, depression, suicidal ideation); evaluate and consider treatment continuation under closer monitoring, or discontinuation if occur. Pre-existing psychiatric disorders. Bipolar disorder. Mania/hypomania. Psychosis. Risk of seizures; discontinue if seizure occurs: do not restart. Angle-closure glaucoma. Unstable heart disease. CHF. Recent MI. Monitor BP before initiating and periodically during treatment. Hepatic or renal impairment (monitor closely). Reevaluate periodically. Maintain at lowest effective dose. Write ℞ for smallest practical amount. Elderly. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
See Contraindications. Do not start with concomitant linezolid or IV methylene blue; if treatment necessary, discontinue bupropion before starting. Monitor for 2 weeks or until 24hrs after last dose of linezolid or IV methylene blue, whichever comes first. Avoid alcohol. Levodopa, amantadine may increase CNS toxicity. Caution with drugs that lower seizure threshold (eg, theophylline, antidiabetics, anorectics, CNS stimulants, systemic steroids, tricyclic antidepressants, antipsychotics) or factors that lower seizure threshold (eg, opiate or cocaine addiction, excessive use of alcohol or sedatives). Caution with CYP2B6 inhibitors (eg, ticlopidine, clopidogrel) or drugs metabolized by CYP2D6 including antidepressants (eg, venlafaxine, nortriptyline, imipramine, desipramine, paroxetine, fluoxetine, sertraline), antipsychotics (eg, haloperidol, risperidone, thioridazine), β-blockers (eg, metoprolol), Class 1C antiarrhythmics (eg, propafenone, flecainide); consider dose reduction. Caution with CYP2B6 inducers (eg, ritonavir, lopinavir, efavirenz, carbamazepine, phenobarbital, phenytoin), tamoxifen; consider dose increase. May antagonize digoxin; monitor. May cause false (+) urine immunoassay test results for amphetamine.
Dry mouth, nausea, insomnia, dizziness, pharyngitis, abdominal pain, agitation, anxiety, tremor, palpitation, sweating, tinnitus, myalgia, anorexia, urinary frequency, rash (rarely may be serious, eg, erythema multiforme, Stevens-Johnson syndrome), headache, blurred vision, tachycardia; hypertension.
XL tabs 150mg—30, 90; 300mg—30; SR tabs—60; Tabs—contact supplier
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Rasagiline Plus Riluzole is Safe, May Improve Survival in ALS
- Treatment of New-Onset Epilepsy: AAN, AES Update Practice Guidelines
- Gender Differences in the Epidemiology of Migraine
- Changes in Glucose Regulation in Parkinson Disease
- Apomorphine Infusions Improves Off Time Associated With Parkinson Disease
- Some Statins May Be Associated With Cognition, Memory Deficits
- Neuropathic Pain Treatments
- Cannabis for Multiple Sclerosis: Prescriber's Perspective
- New Monoclonal Antibody BAN2401 Reduces Amyloid Plaques, Improves Cognition in Alzheimer's
- Nonpharmacologic Interventions for Alzheimer's Have Greater Impact on Outcomes Than Currently Available Medications
- Locally Asymptomatic Ischemic Stroke May Present as Migraine Aura
- Associations Identified Between Stroke Severity, Recovery of Visuospatial Neglect
- Action Tremor May Have Central Origin in Motor Neuron Disease
- Characteristics Affecting Health-Related Quality of Life in RRMS, Progressive MS
- Neurodevelopmental Anomalies, Birth Defects Linked to Zika ID'd