Generic Name and Formulations:
Streptozocin 1g/vial; pwd for IV inj or infusion after reconstitution/dilution; preservative-free.
Indications for ZANOSAR:
Symptomatic or progressive metastatic pancreatic islet cell cancer.
1g/m2 IV once weekly for 2 weeks; may repeat weekly; max 1.5g/m2 per dose. Or, 500mg/m2 IV daily for 5 days every 6 weeks until max benefit or toxicity.
Should be administered under the supervision of an experienced physician. Have access to a facility with laboratory and supportive resources sufficient to monitor drug tolerance and toxicity. Mutagenic, tumorigenic, or carcinogenic.
Renal dysfunction or disease. Monitor renal function (eg, urinalysis, BUN, creatinine, electrolytes) before, weekly during, and for 4 weeks after therapy; discontinue or reduce dose if significant renal toxicity occurs (see full labeling). Obtain CBCs, liver function tests weekly. Avoid extravasation. Ensure adequate hydration. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.D). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid concomitant nephrotoxic agents. Additive toxicity with other cytotoxic drugs. Severe bone marrow toxicity with doxorubicin. Phenytoin may reduce cytotoxicity.
GI upset (may be severe); hematological, hepatic and renal (cumulative and dose-related; may be fatal) toxicity; glucose intolerance, nephrogenic diabetes insipidus, inj site reactions, CNS effects (eg, confusion, lethargy, depression).
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Gender and Multiple Sclerosis: How It Influences Prognosis and Future Treatment
- Natalizumab Improves Cognitive Function in Multiple Sclerosis
- Significant Variations in Epilepsy Surgical Strategy, Deficit Reporting Exist
- Thrombolysis With Tenecteplase Is as Safe as Alteplase in Stroke Mimics
- Loss of Function Variants in LRRK1 and LRRK2 Not Linked to Parkinson Disease
- 5 Key Findings Presented at 2018 Parkinson Disease Conference
- Parkinson Disease and the Gut: Treatment Potential Abounds
- Managing Comorbid Migraine and Mood Disorders: A Synergistic Approach
- Stroke-Code Patients With Low NIHSS Score, No Acute Imaging Findings Often Misdiagnosed
- Ethical Challenges of Nusinersen: Considerations When Counseling on Treatment
- ZTlido Patch for Post-Shingles Pain Launching Soon
- Managing Complications of Intrathecal Baclofen Therapy
- Deep Brain Stimulation Reduces Tremor Symptoms in Parkinson Disease
- FDA Issues Statement Addressing Safety Concerns Associated With Nuplazid
- Prevalence of Autoimmune Encephalitis in Herpes Simplex Encephalitis Explored