Generic Name and Formulations:
Bisoprolol (as fumarate), hydrochlorothiazide; 2.5mg/6.25mg, 5mg/6.25mg, 10mg/6.25mg; tabs.
Indications for ZIAC:
Initially one 2.5mg/6.25mg tab once daily. Adjust at 14-day intervals; max two 10mg/6.25mg tabs (20mg bisoprolol + 12.5mg HCTZ) once daily.
Cardiogenic shock. Overt heart failure. 2nd- or 3rd-degree AV block. Marked sinus bradycardia. Anuria. Sulfonamide allergy.
CHF. Peripheral vascular disease. Bronchospastic disease. Surgery. Thyroid disease. Avoid abrupt cessation. Gout. Arrhythmia. SLE. Postsympathectomy. Excessive fluid loss. Monitor electrolytes, BUN (if high). Discontinue if electrolyte disorders develop rapidly. Diabetes. Hepatic or renal impairment. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Cardioselective beta-blocker + diuretic.
May potentiate other antihypertensives, reserpine, guanethidine, other catecholamine-depleting drugs, calcium channel blockers, antiarrhythmics, myocardial depressants, nondepolarizing muscle relaxants. Digitalis, lithium toxicity. Antagonized by rifampin, NSAIDs. Increased rebound hypertension with clonidine withdrawal. Adjust antidiabetic, antigout medications. Hyperglycemia, hyperuricemia more likely with diazoxide. NSAIDs may cause renal failure. ACTH, corticosteroids, amphotericin B increase hypokalemia risk. Orthostatic hypotension with alcohol, CNS depressants. May block epinephrine. May interfere with parathyroid tests.
Dizziness, fatigue, cough, insomnia, diarrhea, muscle cramps, impotence.
Tabs 2.5mg/6.25mg, 5mg/6.25mg—100; 10mg/6.25mg—30
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Excess Abdominal Obesity Linked to Severe Disability in Multiple Sclerosis
- Change in Dietary Patterns Over 5 Years in Early Multiple Sclerosis
- High-Dose Biotin May Be an Effective Treatment for Progressive MS
- Biobank Data Suggest Vitamin D Reduces Risk for Multiple Sclerosis
- Poor Functional Outcomes Tied to Depressive Symptoms in Multiple Sclerosis
- Models Predict Intracerebral Hemorrhage Growth
- Managing Status Epilepticus in Palliative Care: Accounting for Patient and Family Experience
- Oxygen Desaturation Index Predicts AFib Risk in Ischemic Stroke
- Opioid Use Down With 'Enhanced Recovery After Surgery' Program
- Popular Heroin Inhalation Method Tied to Leukoencephalopathy