Individual blood donations will no longer need to be tested for the Zika virus.
Aedes aegypti mosquitoes can spread the Zika virus.
Zika vaccine provides 90% coverage and is targeted for immunization of women aged 9 to 49 years.
Early intrauterine Zika infection linked to birth defects among infants in the US French TerritoriesApril 19, 2018
A prospective cohort including pregnant women in the US French Territories with PCR-confirmed Zika virus (ZIKV) infection found a 7% overall risk of neurologic and ocular defects among subsequent offspring.
Among pregnant women with Zika virus infection, birth defects were reported more often in fetuses and infants whose mothers had been infected with the virus early in their pregnancies.
Prompt identification may help reduce the risk for subsequent renal failure and minimize overall disease burden.
In the second half of 2016, there was an increase in the number of birth defects potentially related to Zika virus infection.
TAK-426, and investigational drug for Zika virus, has been granted Fast Track desgination by the FDA.
The HCV treatment, sofosbuvir was found to be effective in treating the Zika virus.
Infection with the Zika virus may increase the risk for development of Guillain-Barré syndrome.
The test is not designed to diagnose an individual's infection, however.
The increased incidence of microcephaly was caused by a single mutation in the Zika virus.
Rates of neurologic complications increased in the months after the Zika virus outbreak in Brazil.
The Zika virus thrives in pregnant women because of their already dampened immune system.
Colleagues analyzed results of tissue testing for pregnancy-related Zika infection in all 50 states and Washington, D.C.
Surveillance also spotted an increase in mosquitoes that transmit dengue virus and chikungunya virus.
Zika-related birth defects might occur following Zika infection during any trimester of pregnancy.
The finding isn't overly surprising since the types of brain abnormalities seen in Zika-affected newborns have been linked to seizures and epilepsy in the past.
The threat of a zika virus outbreak is still significant in the US, especially in southern states like Texas, Florida, and Georgia.
There was an apparent resurgence of Zika virus and GBS early in 2016, but no subsequent increase in microcephaly.
The CDC report only accounts for physical birth defects, as researchers note that the full scope of developmental defects has yet to be recorded.
Nearly 47% of pregnancies in women with confirmed Zika virus has adverse outcomes.
Those with postnatal etiology showed worse developmental deficits across all domains.
The researchers were able to isolate Zika from the semen sample and obtain the first genome sequence of the virus.
Similar brain abnormalities are seen in confirmed and presumed cases of congenital Zika infection.
The symptoms presented during the acute infectious phase.
Testing of the compounds will take at least 1 to 2 years.
The update follows the previous clinical guidance released in February.
Researchers are hopeful that the discovery will help prevent microcephaly in the future.
Zika virus RNA was detected up to 46 days after symptom onset.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Addressing Rare Headache Disorders: Acute Confusional Migraine
- Organic Solvents Plus Genetics May Increase Risk of Multiple Sclerosis
- No Significant Clinical Differences Between Cluster Headaches With and Without Aura
- Co-Prescription of Opioids and Antidepressants Prevalent in Migraine
- Deep Brain Stimulation May Slow Rest Tremor Progression in Parkinson Disease
- Herpesvirus Abundant in Alzheimer Disease Brain, New Study Finds
- Patients' Preferences for Physician Attire Linked to Perception of Care
- Weighing the Risks of Deep Brain Stimulation
- Grey Matter Atrophy Sequence in Multiple Sclerosis Phenotypes
- Higher Vitamin D Levels Associated With Fewer Lesions in Multiple Sclerosis
- Screening Tool Differentiates Progressive Supranuclear Palsy and Parkinson Disease
- Risk Factors for Impulse Control Behaviors in Parkinson Disease
- Cardiac Pathology in SUDEP Compared With Sudden Arrhythmic or Traumatic Deaths
- 11.2% of U.S. Adults Aged ≥45 Report Subjective Mental Decline
- AMA Aims to Boost Affordability of ACA Marketplace Plans