ZOMIG NASAL SPRAY Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Zolmitriptan 2.5mg, 5mg; per spray.
Impax Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for ZOMIG NASAL SPRAY:
Acute treatment of migraine.
≥18yrs: 5mg once. If headache returns, may repeat once after 2 hrs; max 10mg/day. Reevaluate if no response after 1st dose. The safety of treating an average of more than 4 headaches in a 30-day period has not been established. Moderate to severe hepatic impairment: use alternate formulation.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Ischemic heart disease (angina pectoris, history of MI, documented silent ischemia). Coronary artery vasospasm (eg, Prinzmetal's angina). Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome or arrhythmias associated with other cardiac accessory conduction pathway disorders. History of stroke, TIA, or hemiplegic or basilar migraine. Peripheral vascular disease. Ischemic bowel disease. Uncontrolled hypertension. Within 24 hours of ergot-type drugs or other 5-HT1 agonists. During or within 2 weeks after discontinuing MAOIs (type A).
Confirm diagnosis. Exclude underlying cardiovascular disease, supervise 1st dose, and consider monitoring ECG in patients with likelihood of unrecognized coronary disease (eg, postmenopausal women, men over age 40, hypertension, hypercholesterolemia, obesity, diabetes, smokers, strong family history). Discontinue if disturbances in cardiac rhythm occur. Rule out vasospastic reaction before receiving additional doses. Monitor cardiovascular function in long-term intermittent use. Overuse may lead to exacerbation of headache (medication overuse headache). Hepatic dysfunction. Monitor BP. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Selective 5-HT1B/1D receptor agonist.
MAOIs (type A), methysergide, other ergotamines, other 5-HT1 agonists: see Contraindications. Serotonin syndrome with SSRIs, SNRIs, TCAs, MAOIs; discontinue if suspected. Absorption and half-life increased by cimetidine.
Neck/throat/jaw pain/tightness/pressure, dizziness, paresthesia, asthenia, somnolence, warm/cold sensation, nausea, heaviness sensation, dry mouth; rare: serious cardiac events. Nasal spray: also taste disturbances, local reactions.
Tabs (YES); ZMT tabs, sprayer (NO)
Tabs, ZMT tabs 2.5mg—6; Tabs, ZMT tabs 5mg—3; Single-dose sprayer—6
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Rasagiline Plus Riluzole is Safe, May Improve Survival in ALS
- Treatment of New-Onset Epilepsy: AAN, AES Update Practice Guidelines
- Gender Differences in the Epidemiology of Migraine
- Changes in Glucose Regulation in Parkinson Disease
- Apomorphine Infusions Improves Off Time Associated With Parkinson Disease
- Some Statins May Be Associated With Cognition, Memory Deficits
- Neuropathic Pain Treatments
- Cannabis for Multiple Sclerosis: Prescriber's Perspective
- New Monoclonal Antibody BAN2401 Reduces Amyloid Plaques, Improves Cognition in Alzheimer's
- Nonpharmacologic Interventions for Alzheimer's Have Greater Impact on Outcomes Than Currently Available Medications
- Locally Asymptomatic Ischemic Stroke May Present as Migraine Aura
- Associations Identified Between Stroke Severity, Recovery of Visuospatial Neglect
- Action Tremor May Have Central Origin in Motor Neuron Disease
- Characteristics Affecting Health-Related Quality of Life in RRMS, Progressive MS
- Neurodevelopmental Anomalies, Birth Defects Linked to Zika ID'd